Image Map

Monday, May 26, 2014

Sister Missionary Feature- Sister Cassidy Cook

 
 
Sister Cassidy Cook
Reporting May 28, 2014
Coasta Rica San Josue Mission, Spanish Speaking
 
 
Did the age change effect you?
Yes, It definitely did!  I was a senior in high school with about 6 months left before I turned 19 so it created the need to make some major decisions!

Did you always want to serve a mission? -why/why not?
No, I just didn’t ever think it was really in the plan for me.  When the mission age was lowered I felt very strongly that I needed to go to school at BYU-Idaho- even though EVERY friend I had decided to serve. And then… the spirit called me!  So off I go!

Where do/did you want to be called? Why?
Gee, if I honestly had to choose a place I’d want to go I would say Italy.  Why?  Because Italy is AWESOME and I would love nothing more than to live there for 18 months.  But I did have a gut feeling I’d be called to Oklahoma Spanish Speaking… haha.  Now that I’ve been called to the Costa Rica San Jose mission I KNOW it is the perfect place for me and I don’t want to go anywhere else!!

 
Share a cool missionary story or experience.
To me, the coolest missionary experience I have had is just in my decision to serve and the whole prep process.  As I mentioned above, I didn’t always want to serve a mission.  I didn’t think it was for me.  And at the time, it wasn’t.  I felt strongly that I needed to go to BYU-I.  My two very best friends both had there mission calls to amazing places- Finland and Ukraine.  And everyone we went we would get, “Oh, you girls are so incredible!  You are such great examples, you are doing great things with your lives!!” always followed by, “Oh…. and Cassidy… College is good too!”.  Needless to say, I felt a little down.  One day, My Ukraine-bound friend and I went to Rita’s Ice and ran into Sister Elaine S. Dalton.  We talked to her and she asked us what we were doing with our lives.  My friend said, “I am going on a mission to Ukraine!!” (sounding incredible and world-changing).  And I said, “I’m going to school in Rexburg, Idaho……” in the most hick-like accent I could muster. I felt embarrassed, like my choice was less important that my friends.  But Sister Dalton didn’t think so.  She held both our arms and looked us right in the eyes and said, “See!  Here are two sisters with completely different plans that are BOTH RIGHT!”.  That was a turning point for me.  Going to college wasn’t the only right choice.  Going on a mission wasn’t the only right choice.  The only right choice for each of us is what Heavenly Father would have us do.  Go to Him and seek His will!  He has a plan and a work for YOU!  Maybe it’s a mission… maybe it’s school… maybe it’s motherhood right now!  The point is… as long as we are following His will, our plan is right.  Soooo I went to Rexburg and I loved it!  I had a great time at school and it was just what I needed and where the Lord needed me to be to be prepared to receive the call.  The spirit spoke to me in my Book of Mormon class, prompting me to serve a mission.  As soon as I heard and felt this, my teacher said, “And if any of you are being prompted to serve, GO!”.  Wowza.  That pierced my insides and I knew I was supposed to serve.  I spoke to my teacher and said, “I think I’ll pray and fast over conference and see if I get an answer.”  He looked me right in the eyes and said, “I think we both know that you already have your answer.  Now you need to go forward with it!  If it’s not what Heavenly Father wants you to do, He will stop you.”  So I did!  I started my papers and everything fell right in to place.  I felt peace with my decision and still do even though I’ve only got six days left before I leave!  I know that I was always supposed to serve, Heavenly Father just needed me a little more prepared first :)
 
Why are you serving?
I am serving a mission because I love my Heavenly Father.  I know that He has called me to go and so I will follow His will.  I know He loves His children wherever they may be and desires for them to know of the truth and so I will love His children too and bring them to Him.  I know that this is the true gospel and the joy that it and especially the power of the Atonement has brought me is too good not to share.  I LOVE the Ticos in Costa Rica and I canNOT wait to share this gloriously good news with them!!
 
Any advice for other girls deciding if they want to serve?
See above story of my own decision to serve :)  Just remember that for young women… missions aren’t always what we are supposed to do.  But often times, especially in these latter-days, they are!  The most important thing is that you are living your life in a way that is pleasing to Heavenly Father.  Seek out His will and DO IT!  Prepare for the temple.  That way… if He calls you to serve, you’ll be prepared!  If He calls you to serve as a wife and mother, you’ll also be prepared!  Prepare for the call, whatever it may be.  Seek out His will.  He knows what He would have you do.  :)  
 
Ladies, the church is TRUE!! I know it.  I know that Heavenly Father has a plan specifically designed for each of us!  He knows what we need to experience in order to become like Him and He KNOWS how we can help build His kingdom.  I know my call to Costa Rica is exactly where I need to be- it is from God!  (Side note cool story-  when we were all making guesses for where I’d be called, my Dad wouldn’t guess.  Finally, the night before I opened it, he said, “Ya know.. I’ve been dreaming of you in Costa Rica a lot lately.”  And sure enough, that’s where I’m serving!  Cool, eh?) This gospel is true and if you know that, you have a responsibility to share it!  Whether on a full-time mission or not.  I love you all!!  I’d love for y’all to write me!! Visit my blog at www.cassincostarica.blogspot.com for my info.  
xoxo Hermana Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover