Image Map

Friday, June 20, 2014

Sister Missionary Feature- Sister Nicole Schmidt

 
 
Sister Nicole Schmidt
Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo East Mission
 
 

Did the age change effect me? Absolutely! A mission was always an option if I "wasn't married by 21" but it was never a priority. When the age change was announced I was driving to get breakfast for my family for the Saturday morning session, and listening to the radio. Immediately, everything in my whole life changed. I felt so peaceful and knew that a mission was what Heavenly Father wanted me to do! Ever since that day, I have been so excited to serve! :)

Like I said before, a mission was always a cool idea or something that could happen in my future, but never a concrete goal for me. My older sister served so I always knew that it was a great option if I wanted to when I was 21. She was my inspiration, so that always made a mission seem like a good possible option to me! 
 
I wanted to go to England or Greece. England because my sister served there and it would be cool to keep the tradition going. Greece because I have a lot of ancestors from there! But, I am so happy about my mission call and now it's the only place I want to go! :) 
 
After the age change, I immediately began taking missionary prep classes, although I knew it would be awhile before I would be able to go. In one of my classes we talked about being fearless about sharing the Book of Mormon. I remembered a friend I had made from a marine biology camp in San Diego as we talked about this. My high school friends and I decided to drive down to California for our senior trip, and I decided we should invite her to church with us and I would give her a Book of Mormon. She ended up coming, through much difficulties hedging up the way, and she loved it! I guess I got lucky that my first "investigator" was a golden one, but she joined the church one month later on my 18th birthday. I was able to fly down and watch it and speak at her baptism. It was a beautiful, sweet experience, that truly grew the fire of my desire to serve a mission. There is so much happiness is bringing someone the gospel and watching it change their lives!! Since then i've been a lot more brave talking about the church to my non-member family, and although they don't accept it, it's really helped with my courage of sharing the gospel. 
 
I am serving because I know that Heavenly Father is our loving Heavenly Father and we are his children. This may seem like a weird answer... but I give it because this knowledge alone has given me so much peace and joy in my life, and all I want is to give others the opportunity to know that for themselves so they to can feel what I do. I am serving because there are too many people who need peace and help in their lives, that only the church and gospel can give to them. There are a lot of reasons I am serving, but the underlying reason is that Heavenly Father wants me to, and I want to bring others the joy from the gospel. :) 
 
My advice to you sisters who are considering serving is to find out for yourself if a mission is right for you. If you feel it is right, go forward with faith and don't turn back in fear or feelings of inadequacy. As soon as you decide to do this, Satan will do everything he can to stop you. Don't let him! Don't let feelings of inadequacy stop you from bringing others the gospel. It is a hard process waiting for the call and then waiting to go, but if you hold on to that confirmation that you received and trust in Heavenly Father, Satan can't stop you :) Have hope, faith, and courage! Also, on the day you open your call I strongly recommend going and doing baptisms for the dead and praying for that confirmation when you open your call that night. It brings so much peace to your day! [Oh, and getting the call is literally worth every second of waiting. It's an amazing, amazing experience]
 
Remember you are called to be a proclaimer of the gospel and not a tourist! Jesus visiting every land on Earth when he came. You are called to represent Him. If He got a mission call, he would be happy WHEREEVER it is! So if you want to represent Him remember that He would teach and serve any people at any place, and be so excited for that :)
 
And never base your success around other people's decisions. Whether you convince one person to be baptized, or 100, it doesn't matter. If you are staying obedient, listening to the spirit, and doing everything you can to love the people, you are considered a successful missionary! My goal isn't to baptize everyone I teach... It is to let every person I teach know that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them, and a Savior who can make them feel whole. :)

A note from Mo,
Don't forget to follow her adventures at
http://niks-spot.blogspot.com/

XXo,
Mo 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! It's so cool that you're giving a lot of us an opportunity like this to reflect back on our journey so far, and reach out to others. You're great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover